Caboose #522

The Caboose was donated to the Historical Society by the Elgin, Joliet & Eastern Railway (EG&E or “the J”) after many years of active service in the area. The Caboose was built in 1956 and donated to the Museum in August 1994.

The EJ&E was a short line that skirted the perimeter of the Chicago area, basically running from Waukegan, IL to Gary, IN. It crossed or connected with every othjer railroad going into Chicago. It operated from January 1, 1889 until January 1, 2013.

The Illinois River Line of the EJ&E ran south from Caton Farm to Minooka, Morris, Devine Station, and ended in Goose Lake. EJ&E began passenger service in January 1889. The line stopped operating passenger trains in 1907, but continued is passenger service until 1909. During those last two years passengers were transported in the caboose.

The Caboose is open for tours on Morris Cruise nights. It opens around 4:30 and closes around 7:30. The Caboose is available for private tours. Contact the Museum to set up a date and time.

The Cruise nights for 2023 are:

  • June 10
  • July 8
  • August 12
  • September 9
  • October 14
%d bloggers like this: