The Grundy County Historical Society was formed in 1923. Harry Hough of Mazon had a private collection in his yard and the Cragg cabin which he had moved from its site. He donated some of the collection to the Historical Society, which they stored in the Court House. Martha Slyter of Mazon and former superintendent of schools will the Society $50,000. She stipulated that it be used to buy a building for a museum within ten years or lose the money.
In 2009 we purchased this 4800 square foot portion of the Coleman building from Jim Baum as a condominium. Labor was donated to remodel it as it is today. The building was completed by Thanksgiving of 2008.