About Us

Our History

The Mission of the Grundy County Historical Society is to provide a permanent location to house, preserve, and display objects pertaining to the county’s past including items of a cultural, social, geological, and anthropological nature.

The Historical Society was organized in 1923. The initial collection was displayed in a few handmade cases in the basement of the Grundy County Courthouse. Eventually in 2001, the Society rented a storefront on Liberty Street in Morris.

Then, in 2008, space was purchased in the historic Coleman Hardware Building and our Museum was fully realized. After 84 years, the collection finally had a permanent home. In 2018 we added an additional 5,000 square feet for display, storage and research purposes. We offer private tours of the museum and the Caboose with 24 hours notice. In addition the Museum has a meeting room which can comfortably seat up to 10 people around a conference table or 30 people in auditorium seating for use before or after a tour.

Our Board of Directors

  • Marion Gore, President
  • Donna Sroczynski, Vice President
  • Sue Cunnea, Treasurer
  • Lisa Barkley, Secretary
  • Dave Finch
  • JoEllyn Johnson
  • Theresa Lamb
  • Duane Wolfe
  • Karen Zelko

Our Staff/Volunteers

Staff

  • Debbie Steffes, Curator
  • Mary Collins, Administrative Assistant

Weekly Volunteers

  • Dave Finch
  • Lea Collins Sharp
  • John Zappia

Key Donors Fiscal Year 2021/2022

The Museum would like to recognize the financial contributions from the following individuals/organizations. Without their support we would not be able to keep our doors open.

Special thanks to:

  • $15,000 +
    • Anonymous
    • City of Morris
  • $1,000 – $14,999
    • Grundy County
  • $100 – $999
    • Shugies/Applebutter
    • Lion’s Club

Past Presidents

%d bloggers like this: