We are counting down to our 100th Anniversary!
hours minutes seconds
The Historical Society was created May 31, 1923. We are gearing up for our 100th anniversary.
If you have any suggestions on how we should celebrate, please feel free to contact the Museum.
The original organization of the Grundy County Historical Society occurred in 1923.
On May 31, 1923, a preliminary meeting for the purpose of forming a historical society was held in the Morris Public Library. At this time, a committee was appointed to draw up a code of by-laws and regulations.
On August 17, 1923, the by-laws were adopted and officers were elected with Dr. W. E. Walsh, a Morris physician, elected the first president of the Grundy County Historical Society.
On September 6, 1923, the Society brought a request to the Board of Supervisors of Grundy County to finance the building of cases for the display of relics of historic interest.
These cases were to be placed in the corridor on the main floor of the Grundy County Courthouse.
The Board agreed to finance the building of the cases and plans and specifications were presented to the courthouse committee by the society.
The lumber from which the cases were made was taken from the old Hoge homestead; black walnut which was formerly a part of the first school house in Grundy County.
In the lower panel of one case the initials of H. H. could be seen as they were carved on a desk in the old school house by Hendley Hoge.
In 1925, a third case was made from wild cherry wood. This was made for the relics of World War I soldiers. These three cases were designed by C. A. Baker and made by Ommund Fosen of Morris.
Following a period of inactivity, in May of 1948, a group of people met at the Grundy County Courthouse to reorganize the society. A second meeting was held on June 2, 1948, and permanent officers were elected, with Harry L. Hough as president and treasurer. He was one of the organizers of the original society in 1923.
Hough requested from the Grundy County Board of Supervisors permission for use of a room in the Grundy County Courthouse basement. It was to be used by the society to display its exhibits.
The request was granted and soon Hough and members set about making plans for completion of the room and taking active steps to raise funds for the purpose of purchasing display cases and other necessities.
Hough brought many of his own heirlooms and historical treasurers from his cabins and his home in Mazon for display.
Visitors to the Grundy County Corn Festival in October 1952, were invited to visit the new display room.
Hough, who worked so tirelessly toward trying to establish a Grundy County Museum, died May 11, 1964.
This group was active in furthering the purpose of the society up to the early 1960s.
On May 1, 1967, a group of interested people met in the Farm Bureau Auditorium in Morris to discuss the establishment of an official historical society (again) for Grundy County.
On June 22, 1967, officers were elected, with Mrs. Helen (John) Ullrich as president.